From Andrew Telesca
- 2 lbs smoked salmon (chopped fine)
- 4 slices white bread (chopped fine)
- 4 tbsp zesty French dressing (mayonnaise substitute)
- ½ cup onion (finely grated)
- 4 tbsp parsley (chopped fine)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 4 “eggs ” (substitutes of your choice) – used to stick the breading to the cake
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 tsp water
- 1 ½ cups plain dry bread crumbs (like panko). Could also try wheat germ.
Mix salmon with chopped bread, dressing, onion, parsley, lemon juice, salt. Make patties – about ¼ cup each. These didn’t stick together very well on our first go-round. Perhaps add some egg-substitute, or potato starch & water to make them clumpier?
Put the patties in the freezer for 15 minutes (to dry off).
Mix egg substitutes with 1 1/2 tsp canola oil and water. dredge patties in flour, and then egg goop shaking off the excess each time. Then coat in bread crumbs.
Heat oil medium-high until hot but not yet smoking. Cook patties on both sides until medium golden brown. Drain.